Your unique Branding Message is the heart of your marketing. When the message is right everything works better and every dollar spent on marketing is more productive. To maximize your chance of success – put first things first.
I am a copywriter and brand strategist.
The central premise I work under is simple: “Better writing brings better results.”
Whatever tactics you currently employ to deliver your message and drive business: Websites, SEO, Pay-Per-Click, Telemarketing, Social Media, Content marketing, Inbound marketing, Outbound marketing, Digital, Brochures, Post cards, E-mail, New marketing, Traditional marketing, Radio, TV, Signage, Videos – even Networking…
None of these can work if your branding message is trite, predictable and uninspiring.
Money vs Message
We know, through various studies, that your message is the most important element of your marketing plan. More important than the media used to convey it to your prospects. And more important than how much money you spend on marketing and advertising. Yet, for too many entrepreneurs and small business owners, the branding message is often given short shrift as they strive for calls, traffic, hits, likes, follows, etc.
One such study, from the prestigious Wharton School of Business at the University of Pennsylvania set out to establish an answer to the question, “Which is more predictive of success in marketing and advertising – money or message?” The final 2500 page report came to three basic conclusions:
- There is no direct correlation between dollars invested and results gained.
- Results are inextricably linked to the message.
- Results increase with repetition.
Craft Your Message BEFORE Deciding On The Delivery Method
If your goal is to boost sales, do yourself a favor – spend your time and maybe some money creating as picture-perfect a brandingstrategy and message as you can. And do this before you make any decisions – or spend one thin dime – on how you deliver that message to your prospects.
An excellent message will interrupt, engage, educate, and move more people to act than a mediocre message. The result? Increased revenues, decreased cost per lead and higher conversion rates. Here, a branding strategy consultant is often an investment that can pay off handsomely down the line.
One of my heroes, Rosser Reeves, chairman of Ted Bates International and copywriting legend, once created a branding message for Rolaids. He wrote, “How do you spell relief? R-O-L-A-I-D-S!” Sound familiar? Rolaids has been using this same message for over 70 years. Was hiring Mr. Reeves a great investment for Rolaids? You better believe it.
FiveReasons To Focus On Your Message First
- A unique and superior branding message is the heart of your marketing. It can make you or break you. No amount of advertising or social media hype can help sell a lousy message.
- The message is central to all your marketing efforts.
- Well-crafted messaging increases readership and boosts click-through and conversion rates.
- It is far less costly to develop superior branding and messaging strategies and tools than it is to deliver that message.In my experience, only about 5% of a five year marketing budget goes to message creation and copywriting.
- A well-crafted, successful branding message can be used for many, many years.
Now start thinking about what sets you apart from your competition, what benefits your customer values most and how to get it across to others in a short, easy-to-remember way. If you need help, an experienced, professional copywriting servicecan increase your business far in excess of the fees charged. My advice – find a copywriter you can relate to and whose expertise you can rely on. And then…take your business to the next level – and beyond.