Nine Common Reasons Your Marketing Fails

Your marketing isn’t working; the sales curve is headed down. It weighs heavily on you. You are an entrepreneur. For you it’s personal. Your first thought is, “Let’s fix it!” But how? If you don’t know what’s wrong – and you probably don’t, what will you try to fix?

branding strategy

Here’s a list of the nine most common reasons why your marketing (ads, brochures, websites, etc) fail to maximize your sales potential.Some are huge and require a major re-tooling of your message. Others are minor and require only slight adjustments in phrasing or design to achieve more selling power.

  1. The website or ad (the marketing “piece”) does not attract the right people and may even confuse or anger actual prospects

You have only a few seconds to attract your prospect’s attention…make sure you don’t waste it on irrelevant words or images.

  1. The piece does not promise the benefits buyers want – or fails to promise benefits at all

Every one of us listens to the same radio station in our head…WII-FM – (“What’s in it for me?) If you don’t answer what’s in it for your prospect quickly and meaningfully, you will not keep their interest and they’ll go somewhere else.

  1. The piece fails to differentiate you from your competitors in any meaningful way

Why should prospects pass your biggest competitors and buy from you if they can’t see a real difference between you and them? If they don’t see a difference, the only measure they can judge you on is PRICE. Don’t be forced to compete only on price; it’s a losing proposition.

  1. Your message is not benefit-oriented, short and memorable

In our over-communicated society people are exposed to thousands of marketing messages each and every day. You stand a much better chance of being remembered with a short and powerful branding statement.

  1. Your Unique Branding Message,print fonts, colors and style is not consistent throughout all your marketing pieces

Without a consistent, compelling message, your marketing will not work!

  1. The piece uses tired, worn phrases that people do not believe
  • “We go the extra mile for you”
  • “Professional!”
  • “Residential and Commercial”
  • “We treat you like family”
  • “The best customer service in town”
  • “In business since 735 BC”

All of these say precisely… nothing! If your marketing stoops to this level, find a good branding strategy consultant or professional copywriting service to help. Fast!

  1. The piece ignores 94% of your prospects

Studies have shown only about 6% of readers (“Now Buyers”) have made the decision to buy. The other 94% (“Future Buyers”) are in the information-gathering stage. Most marketing has offers aimed only at Now Buyers. They forget about the Future Buyers. Offers like a report, buyer’s guide or other valuable information will interest them and be welcome.

  1. The piece is clumsily written obscuring your message and placing unnecessary obstacles in front of the reader

 Copywriters have a saying: “Bad writing leads to bad results!”It especially applies to your website. Get help if you need it.

  1. The layout of the piece gets in the way of your message.

An overly creative, artsy, edgy or just plain confusing layout creates a huge obstacle to getting your message read and understood. So be very wary of the designer, graphics artist or videographer who is more intent with impressing you and others with their creative skill than in selling your product.

OK, that’s nine. Now that you know what to look for in your marketing pieces, you will be more able to spot – and fix – those shortcomings that keep your marketing communications from being as successful as they should be.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s